I wanted to share what I turn to when I’m struggling, in case it might help you during these overwhelming times.
Most of the tools aren’t actually in this giant box I’m holding , but rather things I’ve learned to do over the years that have been incredibly useful during the challenges of 2020.
The first two are the most important, and are lifesaving for me: therapy and medsI will never stop saying this – Please don’t be ashamed to get professional help!
- Basic healthy lifestyle things: good sleep, a clean diet, exercise, and minimizing exposure to environmental toxins
- Coping statements that you see me post here, like “focus on the good,” “keep going,” and “it’s going to be okay”
- Meditating (I use Insight Timer)
- Resting without feeling guilty (I’m getting better at this!)
- Keeping things around that make me feel good – inspirational card decks, music, anything lavender…
Do I still struggle? Of course, I do. Mental health is a constant battle with your brain. But these tools help me come out ahead most days.
Want more ideas? My partner, Mental Health America, has lots of helpful info on its website here.