The big lessons I learned in 2019 were all about looking inward – knowing when to take more down time, really tuning in to both my mind and body, and paying more attention to my needs.
Trust me, these were difficult adjustments for me to make. After resisting for months, I finally surrendered.
Here are a few things I’ve been working on lately that are helping me get back to my true self. I hope they do the same for you:
- Forgive yourself. You must do this to be able to let go and move forward.
- Pay closer attention to what you need, and give yourself more of that.
- Stop worrying about what other people think. I still have to repeat this to myself almost daily.
- Let go of unbalanced relationships. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt… but if you’re constantly the one reaching out to someone, showing up for them and they’re not reciprocating, it may be time to rethink that relationship.
- Listen closely to your body. Does it need to rest? Does it need to heal? Does it need to move? Learn from my mistakes and really pay attention so that you can hear the whispers instead of the screams.
I’m still working on all of these, and some need more effort than the rest. But I’m already noticing a difference. I’m finally more tuned in to my body and to what I need emotionally.
I hope this is helpful to you! And if you need other ideas on how to be mentally healthy, my partner, Mental Health America can help. Just click here to get started.