It’s funny that what seemed like a sea of emptiness a few years ago was instead a journey to fill my soul in ways I never would have imagined.
Let me explain…
When we first moved to Maui almost five years ago, I left behind all my close friends and family. The loneliness was unbearable, and I kept asking God why life had brought me here.
Turns out, this is exactly where I was supposed to be.
I needed the silence, the unbusyness, the isolation, so that I could return home to myself. The self I’d run away from for decades.
With the quiet enveloping me, I was forced to look inward. And to dig deep. Deeper than I knew was possible.
The work I’ve done in therapy here has been harrowing, enlightening, and life-changing.
I’m figuring out:
- That I can heal from trauma (with a lot of excruciating work and professional guidance).
- How to let my feelings surface, really feel them, and process them… instead of shoving them down and burying them.
- How to find my voice, and speak my mind.
- To learn to trust my intuition.
- How to finally stand up for myself.
I’m so proud of how far I’ve come, and how much I’ve learned and grown. I’m closer to myself than I’ve ever been before.
Turns out, I was never alone after all.